Parish History

The Parish extends over an area of some seven kilometres across and includes the suburbs of Chatswood, Castle Cove, and (in part) Roseville, Lindfield, Artarmon and Lane Cove. Established and separated from Pymble Parish on 8 December 1910.

First Mass celebrated in private homes: A house attached to Peter Vines' tannery, High Street Willoughby (1880s), Windsor Gardens, Mowbray Road Chatswood (c1890s).

Building of first church/school took place in 1895 on a portion of an 1863 cemetery grant of some three and a half acres in Archer/Anderson Streets. The building was used as a school up until 2001 (now demolished).

Sisters of Mercy began teaching in Our Lady of Dolours' church/school in 1896. Also, established a private school; St. Catherine's on opposite side of Archer Street after purchase of house Hillgrove (demolished). New Convent and school established in 1905 opposite present church.

Exterior_2

1910

8 Dec

Chatswood parish separated from Pymble and established
1911 13 Aug Cardinal Moran laid foundation stone of Presbytery; completed in 1912
1920 18 Apr Foundation stone of new (second) church blessed
1921 21 Aug Church of Our Lady of Dolours (Sorrows) opened (only partly complete)
Cost ten thousand pounds
1937 17 Jan Christian Brother's school and monastery opened. Named St Pius X College
1954 11 Apr Foundationstone of primary school laid by Bishop Carroll
1955 16 Jan Parish school opened and blessed by Cardinal Gilroy
1961 31 Dec Church of Our Lady of Dolours completed (seating 800)
Additions of transepts and bell tower etc. Costs 82,716 pounds
1978   Our Lady of Dolours refurbished and painted
1986 8 Apr Parish become part of new Diocese of Broken Bay
First Bishop: Most Rev Patrick Murphy 1986 - 1996
Second Bishop: Most Rev David Walker 1996 -2013
Third Bishop: Most Rev Peter A Comensoli 2014 -


A history of the parish from 1895 (including Willoughby, Naremburn, Lindfield and Lane Cove/Greenwich) completed in 2001 is available for purchase from the Piety Stall at Our Lady of Dolours Catholic Church Chatswood.  The Piety Stall is open after all masses on the weekend.